Wednesday, February 21, 2007

What's In A Name?

Just finished reading PJ's blog on the unfortunate names of some of our friends and acquaintances. Then, I started remembering: my former High School teacher, Miss Filipinas D. Lavandera (in English - Miss Philippines The Clothes-washer); the meaning of "maricon" in Spanish ("gay;" sorry, Conne); my sister's college classmate, Juan Paulo Pedro (John Paul Peter - "Pedro" is his real last name); a good friend named James Dean; a beloved friend's kid who's called "Santino," (Little Santi) after his grandfather who's named Santiago (nickname, Santi... Santino is often mistaken to be named after a mob crewmember from Francis Ford Coppola's 'The Godfather' movies); etc.

And where did I get my name? "Kimberly" is supposed to be of English-origin, meaning, "From the wood of the royal forest; or, from the royal fortress meadow." My given name in Chinese, Ya Ying, means "strong warrior." Warriors are often mentioned in English mythological and historical stories. The "Ying" in my Chinese name is the same character used to call "England" in the Chinese language, "Ying Kuo." My Chinese surname, "Huang," means "yellow" - a colour associated with royalty in Chinese historical times.

Eerie? Yes, abso-bloody-lutely. So, what's your name again?

9 comments:

CoNnE said...

fyi its not maricon, it's MARYCONNE! Cheers! =P

CoNnE said...

oh, don't get it wrong...i'm proud to be gay!

kim said...

You say "po-TAH-to," I say "po-TAY-to." You say "to-MAH-to," I say "to-MAY-to." Teehee, Maryconne, truly, what's in a name, if you're loved and appreciated by people who count? And, yes, sweetie, I COUNT, bakla! (Said with a flick of the hair...)

Unknown said...

LOL! Conne...when I was reading PJ's blog entry on what's in a name, and read what your name meant, I immediately thought of the Spanish word "maricon"! LOL! Sorry!!! I never said anything though, because I was being polite! :) Anyway, MARYCONNE is a beautiful name and so is its meaning (not the Spanish meaning)!

CoNnE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CoNnE said...

LOL! thanks for being extra polite and considerate then Chrissy. kim doesn't know what those are.

i knew about the Spanish meaning of my name back when I was still in high school and thought that it was kinda cool and...weird! haha!

no worries, sweetie..indeed Maryconne is a beautiful girl! we're talking about me being beautiful, right? ;p

Unknown said...

I really do think your name is pretty, Conne ;) AND you are a beautiful person too (inside and out). So, do you usually go by the name Conne then? I think filipino nicknames are fun. All my uncles, aunts, cousins still call me Tin, Tin-Tin, Tina...and I never understood the logic, since my name is Christine and that sounds so far from Tin-Tin! I've got cousins who are called Bong, Boy, Baby, etc...when their names are not even remotely close to those nicknames! LOL! Oh, and I love how some filipino nicknames are doubled: Jo-Jo, Ren-Ren, Tin-Tin...and then there are real names like Girlie and Baby. I think it's so interesting.

Unknown said...

BTW, GREAT blog, Kim! :)

kim said...

Thanks, Chrissy! These names really do make you think, don't they? Ayayay... the things that people do to be "different" from everyone else. But the advantages of having an unfamiliar name are also tremendous. For instance, who on earth does not know "Oprah," "Uma," "Prince Michael," or "Maddox"? The disadvantages are aplenty, too, though - for instance, I know of this family who had triplets who turned out to be girls. The mother had an ecclesiastical epiphany when she was writing down her babies' names on the registration form the nurse handed her. Without consulting the father of her children, she christened her daughters "Hope, "Faith,"... and "Chastity." Chastity! I wonder if she'll be virginal for life, or turn out to be like her namesake, Chastity Bono (daughter of Cher and Sonny Bono). Have a great week ahead!