Thursday, June 7, 2007

21st Century Taboo (Adobo-Style)

MSN UK recently listed ten 21st century taboos in an opinion article (read it here), and asked its readers which one(s) they’re guilty of. Ticking some of them off one by one, I’d say:
  1. I have never given a beggar money – not because I’m a Scrooge, but because crime syndicates rampantly use the “Help-me-I’m-poor” ploys and some greedy lazy parents criminally use their kids in the “Help-me-I’m-young-AND-poor” gambits here in Metro Manila. I have, however, once given a poor tattered-looking boy my packed sandwich when he had approached my car that was, at that time, stuck in traffic. That wasn’t taboo, Mr. MSN. That was… uhm, me sticking to my no-carbo diet.
  2. I am a deeeeee-voe-ted Princess Diana fan. I have an altar dedicated to her in my closet [because I don’t want anyone to see it :-)]. Never would I ever malign her name. Shame on those who would!
  3. I like gentlemen. Opening doors for women is not a taboo. It’s common courtesy. Heck, I’D open a door for another woman, if (a) she’s older than me and (b) she’s overburdened with ten million things in her arms. Kill me with a spoon whydontcha, if you disagree.
  4. Lennon’s “Imagine” is a classic. It is an idealistic piece of shmooze, and is number 23 on my computer’s digital music player list. I’ve also got “Hey Jude” on my song list… What can I say? I’m a quasi-Beatle-Fan reincarnate.
  5. I am an advocate of non-fat milk. Whenever I drink it, I feel like I didn’t gain an ounce. It doesn’t mean I’ve actually lost weight, but I feel like I did. Therefore, I am a staunch advocate of non-fat milk.

With regards to the five other taboos listed - I gotta admit I have absolutely no idea what the guy was talking about anymore, since they’re too “British” for me to relate to, but here are some that people of my culture and in my society would most probably consider taboo in the 21st century:
a. Wearing t-shirts over your bikinis on the beach.
Why’d you buy a bikini in the first darned place, honey?

b. Singing “Thriller” at your favourite karaoke bar.

Let’s face it. That Michael Jackson song really fits Michael Jackson’s vocal range and Michael Jackson’s alone. Your “hoohoos” and “heehees” would never sound like Jackson’s. Give it up. Try singing something by Ne-Yo now. I hear his song “Irreplaceable” is quite a hit. Especially if you’re drunk.

c. Begging.
Right now, I believe they call this act “Selling.”

d. Playing with real marbles and real Barbie dolls.

PS3’s and laptops, according to the general up-to-date consensus from ten-year-old kids and kids-at-heart, are way cooler than boring old games like these. Besides, ancient things like marbles are no longer being manufactured, and Barbie dolls are for older women and gay men who collect such things as memorabilia of their once-upon-a-time youth.

e. Eating with your hands.
One word? Ewww.

f. Using hairspray
Like, oh my gosh! Haven’t you ever heard of, like, CFCs?
Or is it CCFs?
I, like, could never get that dangerous thingamajig’s name straight. But, like, my gosh!
Haven’t you heard of them, like, at all???


g. Consuming meat.
See letter “f.”

h. Speaking only one language.
Yes, I understand you’re a true-blue Filipino, man. I know exactly how you feel. But, you just GOTTA learn how to speak English well, man. You just GOTTA. Please understand: “piss” and “peace” DO NOT RHYME, man. They just don’t, you know what I mean?

i. Getting married at the church where your parents got married in.
This was soooooooooo ten minutes ago – that tradition died together with Mandy Moore in the movie “A Walk To Remember.”

j. Getting married.
Period.

7 comments:

Heidi said...

Getting Married is a taboo to you?

I thought I'm traumatized with the marriage with kids scenario.

I think it's pretty cool that you gave the hopeless man your sandwich. I probably would've just given him a cigarette.

Uncivil said...

Beggars. I usually just flip them off and tell them to get a job!

Princess Di was cool

I'll open doors for anybody. Inbred Southern hospitality!

Lennon’s “Imagine” is pretty cool

Nonfat milk? I'll eat or drink just about anything. The more cholestrol the better. Ya got to die from something.

No tee's over bikinis, unless it's cold and nipply!LOL

Been known to eat certain foods with my hands...sorry

You don't use Hairspray, or eat meat? I don't use hairspray either, but I love steak, chicken ,pork, and seafood!

I only speak english, but the government is trying to cram spanish down our throats!

Getting married.....been there done that.........won't do it again.

I'll find a chic who has her own place, I'll keep my own place and we can date or meet for conjugal visits! Or I'll just die a lonely old man.

I can get over being lonely a lot easier than getting over being married!

Unknown said...

OMG......Uncivil, you just crack me up! LOL!!!

Kim,
I used to give to the poor who were begging on the streets of Ste. Catherine's in downtown Montreal. That stopped when I gave a man soup and a sandwich on a cold winter day, and he said, "No. I'd like money instead." WTF?? I was upset but gave him a buck or two. He ended up going right to the liquor store. I guess he had collected enough $$ from several people. That really made me feel so jaded.

Eating with hands....my Tito Eddie eats his rice with his hands! LOL! He's a hardcore filipino! He even puts coffee on his rice at breakfast. Have you ever had a fried egg, langonisa, rice and coffee...with the coffee on the rice? LOL! I was shocked! Apparently it's good!

I don't like using my hands to eat. I'm fussy that way. However, there are some food items you simply must eat with your hands :) BBQ ribs...buffalo wings...burgers (okay, I'm too much of a lady to stuff my mouth with a burger like that. I cut mine in half! LOL! Seriously!)

Gotta run, but will be back to check in on ya.

kim said...

Hi CK,
Yes, marriage is taboo now. Statistically speaking, there are more and more people here in the Philippines who are getting their marriages annulled (there's no divorce here), on a year-to-year basis. Besides, a traditional Roman Catholic wedding is not cheap... so why get married in the first place? Live in sin, I say, just live in sin.

You're "traumatised" with the marriage and kids scenario? Then, I presume you've been-there-done-that already?

kim said...

Uncivil
Oh I eat meat. I'm just saying that a lot of people here are starting to embrace the vegetarian &/or vegan lifestyle, making meat taboo.

But I don't care. I still love meat. If I'm gonna die of something, it'll probably be either (1) kidney failure or (2) heart attack.

Bring it on!

kim said...

Hi Chrissy!
Two questions: (1) He DEMANDED that you give him money instead??? And, (2) Why did you give in to his demand??

RE: Coffee on rice? I repeat - ewww. I've never heard of it! I've heard of fresh pan de sal (poor man's bread, which utterly delicious) being dunked in coffee - my grandmama used to do that a lot. But I've never seen, heard, or tasted rice mixed with coffee.

Have YOU tried it?

Unknown said...

LOL! I LOVE fresh pandesal!! Though, I've never tried to dunk it in coffee! Ewww! LOL! Nah, I've never tried to drizzle a few spoons of coffee onto my rice. Ick! But ALL of my mom's family members do that! LOL! It has to be FRIED rice with a fried egg and some langonisa. Maybe it's a San Jose, Batangas thing?? LOL!