Monday, April 30, 2007

Mineistheearth's Topic of Choice

My Catch 22: I started a blog two months ago, just for the heck of it. But, what is it about? I have no idea. So, I browsed through this site again, and concluded: this is just a mumbo-jumbo combination of whatever I feel like talking about, whenever I feel like blogging.

This is not a good thing. After all, according to many blog “experts”, like Ivan Henares, for instance, blogging should have a point – that a blog has to have a specific topic to talk about, whether it be about the things that can be made of bamboo; food; travel; books; writing; religion; music; technology; movies; history; dating; parenthood; work; appliances; antique furniture; humour; family; etc.

For the past week, I’ve been racking my brain on what topic I ought to pick for mineistheearth. I’ve considered writing about my work – but I have a tendency to complain about it sometimes, which is not necessarily something I want to advertise to the whole wide world. Besides, there was this French guy whom I was faintly acquainted with before, and who had worked as an intern for his country’s embassy here in Manila. He got kicked out of work because he made the mistake of writing negatively about someone over the Net, about how he didn’t like his co-workers, and about how he hated it there. Well, it shouldn’t come to a surprise that he got shipped back to France faster than he can say, “Mer…”

What about writing and reviewing books? Nah… scrap that idea. I like reading books, not writing about them. Back in high school, I had hemmed and I had hawed when I was required to write book reviews. Particularly because the teacher would give me a low score whenever my opinion about the book wouldn’t jive with hers! Oi vey.

Then I thought what about writing about food. I eat enough of it to fill up three people’s appetites in half a day, anyway. Thus far, it was the food-related entries posted here that resulted in the most number of comments per post (Restaurant meme and Foooooooooood!). So, I’m going out on a limb and say that maybe food is my passion The posts that I’ve drafted are mostly about food; I’m eating some food (chicharon, to be more specific) as I type this right now; I’ve just laid out the ingredients for dinner tonight (spaghetti putanesca); and I know what I’m gonna eat for breakfast for tomorrow (scrambled eggs with sandwich spread on whole wheat bread – I’m taking my nutritionist’s proposed diet veeeeeeerrrrrry slowly… compensating, actually). So, perhaps I’d be writing about food here.



However, I also like travelling. A lot. Problem is – I don’t really get to do it that often, due to various reasons (i.e., primarily, Mr. Budget S.A. Constraint is the culprit). Hence, whenever I travel, similar to what happened last January and February (All Smiles :-)), Fun in the Sun! Vol. I, Series 1), I like documenting it, just in case I don’t ever get to the same place with the same people again. Blogging about it seems like a great way to keep mementos.

What to do… what to do? So many things to do in so little time. No conclusion yet to this minor dilemma, but I’ll probably get to the bottom line of what mineistheearth is all about by the time June 2009 rolls around. For now, I’m off to watch Dr. House conduct medical diagnostic wonders on my DVD player. Maybe he'll be able to give me a clue on what I'm supposed to do here.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Kim!
Well, I have thought about this too. I started a blog a year ago because my friend Jill had one. Hers was about cosmetics, fashion, parenting, etc.

My blog really doesn't have a point. I love travel, cooking, gardening, art, music, etc. I suppose all of those are lumped into one blog. I have thought of having a blog dedicated to just one thing, but I'm too unorganized for that. I've got so much stuff to blab about, but nothing really substantial. All anyone who reads my blog will get is..."Life on Manitoulin" :)

PS. I was also considering making a humour blog, but sometimes I've got things to say that are more serious than funny. Ah well.

Unknown said...

I'm back! Oh, and Kim...my cousin told me that the restaurant we went to is called Alex III. Do you know of the place?

Okay, here are your 5 interview questions:

1) First off, how did you come up with the title of your blog? What is the story behind your blog?

2) If you could name ONE place that you've been to that you would love to revisit one day, where would that place be and why?

3) What does "a typical day in the life of Kim" look like?

4) How would you describe your latest adventures in dating? What is your idea of your ideal partner? (Being realistic, of course! We're not talking Brad Pitt here!)

5) What is the most important belief/rule you have for yourself (and/or others)?

Uncivil said...

Hi Kim

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Chrisy and Kim, Don't narrow it (your blog) to any one thing.
It's great just the way it is.

It's kind of like the Seinfeld episodes, a show about nothing!

They did pretty good for a show about nothing!

Just do what you feel at the time. I take spontaneity over (same old same old) any day.

Who needs a point?

Unknown said...

HAHAHA! Uncivil, you are awesome! I kinda feel that way too...about not narrowing down the blog to just one thing. I like that Seinfeld reference! Good one!!!

kim said...

Chrissy:
Thanks for the questions! Now, I gotta go think about my answers, and see if I make sense. Your first one's already a stumper.

Uncivil:
Yeah, nice allegory. Mineistheearth = Seinfeld reincarnation. You convinced me. No point in making a point. Besides, I neither have the moolah to spend on restaurants to review several times a month nor inclination to cook every single day.

Now if I can actually earn like Sienfeld did for this blog that is about nothing, that'll be abso-bloody-lutely fantastic...

And, thanks for stopping by, too!