Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Survivor: Metro Manila


I’m twenty-six years old. Never married. Single. Smart. Employed. Chubby. Funny. Thrifty. Extroverted. Intelligent… no wait, I said that already. Laid-back. Short. Friendly (I suppose the clue to this one was the previous description “extroverted.” Duh.). But I’ve never really been independent.

I’m not like Chrissy or Curiosity Killer who have travelled extensively and worked vigorously in various parts of the globe. My life’s simple – but not idiotic or boring, contrary to what Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie seem to think of the lives of the world’s regular Joes and Janes. Recently, however, I’ve made a move to change all that: I moved out of my parents’ comfortable home in Quezon City and into a semi-expensive flat (read: scrimping and saving are absolutely necessary for an ordinary yuppie to be able to afford this room on a monthly basis) in Makati City.

Ours is a conservative society: normally, a child does not move out of his/her parents’ house here in the Philippines, unless s/he is getting married already or earning more than the parents do. Sometimes, people who’ve moved out of their respective parents’ homes in their college years or during their early early adulthood even move back into the parents’ nest once they do tie the knot. Causes: simple. Money’s hard to come by. Blue-collar work, and sometimes, even white-collared ones here basically do not support a middle-income lifestyle. Relying on mom and pop is sooo much more convenient than the alternative.

However, I consciously chose the alternative last September – and, so far, I can say that it’s been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. On my own, I’ve learned to survive. “Grocery Shopping 101” is a course that’s proved to be extremely valuable. Key lesson learnt: “detergent” is quite different from “dishwashing liquid.” The former is normally in granule form, and is, therefore, difficult to use to wash china with (even if they were hand-me-downs, china is still china is still china.) “Cooking for One” was also an important course. Key lesson learnt: one kilo of ground pork does not equal one serving. “Cutlery” covered some pretty interesting lessons, too. Here, my key lesson was that dull knives are way more dangerous than sharp ones. Why? I have no idea. But I’ve got the evidence of this fact bleeding on my laptop.

(Insert ‘bathroom-break’: got to go stop the bleeding. Note to self: include ‘band-aids’ in the grocery list for tomorrow.)

“Cooking 104” was exciting though. Many lessons learnt there. One, don’t just leave defrosted marinated meat inside the refrigerator for three straight days. They’ll give you intense indigestion that’ll send you straight to the hospital when you cook and eat them on the fourth day. Two, green eggs, albeit their emotional significance to you and Mr. Schmidt, are not good for you. Again, you’ll save another trip to the doctor’s if you simply throw them out. Three, store-bought pasta cannot be boiled until the water completely evaporates. That would only result in a ruined pan and, more importantly, a starving stomach, which would have to be assuaged with your umpteenth burger from McDonald’s this week. Four, look at bottle labels before you grab whatever’s inside those said bottles and use it on a dish/beverage. For instance, black vinegar used in adobo tastes grandiosely gross, and two teaspoons of salt instead of sugar in your morning instant coffee is just pure unpleasantness. I could go on and on, but I fear that I’ll just make you (1) get off your chair in disgust, or (2) barf.

Being on my own was not a hunky-dory-peachy-keen experience. Hoo boy, I haven’t even written about “Bathroom Cleaning 4.1” yet. :-) But, there’s still time to experiment, learn, enjoy, and survive in this rented condo unit. My lease ends in June, and I’m already begging my landlord to not kick me out yet. Seriously, I did not mean to set off the fire alarm on my second night. I love it here. Life is good.

8 comments:

Heidi said...

This is hilarious! You should write - A Boy's Guide to becoming a Bachelor. Seriously! You'll make millions!

Simple American said...

Oh my. You set off the fire alarm? 0.0 Quite an experience. But now you know neighbors, right? ;)

Do make sure your knives are sharp. A nick in the blade can bounce rather than slice, which you have experienced. Don't forget the anitseptic for your cut. Man I sound like Dad. haha

Thanks for coming by my blog. Yours looks nice. :)

Unknown said...

LOL!!! OMG, Kim! You totally crack me up! You know, my mom grew up in San Jose and had maids (yes, maids...3 of them). My mom never knew how to cook or clean until she got married. Now she's an insane clean freak and a fabulous cook!

She always got mad at us as kids, asking us why we didn't know how to clean. The main reason is because whenever we'd clean, she'd just redo whatever we did because it wasn't good enough. Hence, we decided not to clean.

It was only when I left home and taught overseas that I really had to fend for my own. I had to do the groceries, cook, clean, do my laundry (OMG...you're supposed to separate laundry into colors???). I then became like my mom.

I think leaving the nest is the best thing a young adult could do. It's so important to realize you can accomplish things on your own...and it's fun!

Love your writing style, girlfriend! You are too funny!

PS. I have an uncle from Quezon City...and next time I'm in Makati, I hope to see you! I love Makati! Hubby and I are hoping to go to the Phils sometime within the next year or two.

kim said...

Waaaaaaaaaaah! Curiosity Killer: I'M A GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 100% G-I-R-L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Never mind what that stupid blogthings site said I am.)

Simple American:
Yep, I managed to set off the alarm. Don't know how I managed to do that, but I did. In the end, I told my landlord, "Well, the building administrators should have put a sign up telling curious new tenants to keep off the darned door! Not my fault, man."

I didn't have any antiseptic at the time, so I slapped on a band-aid on the nick, and so far so good. I think. Hope it won't swell. Knife nicks normally don't, right?

Chrissy:
CK thinks I'm a guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why??? Do I sound like a boy in this blog?

You're supposed to separate the colours from the whites??? Hmmm... Didn't know that. Never bothered knowing about it. I just go down to the laundry shop in my building's ground floor, and they take care of the whole she-bang. I just go back to the shop the next day, and voila! My clothes smell good already. Hopefully, they're just as clean. Haven't gotten any cooties crawling up my back yet, so I suppose the laundry ladies are doing their job well enough.

And yes, I can't wait to meet you soon! I'll treat you to one of the five restos I wrote about! Cannot wait.

Unknown said...

LOL! You lucky duck! You get laundry ladies to do your laundry?!?!?! Man, I wish I had the brains to think about that!! LOL!

In all fairness, when I lived in Japan, I only cooked 9 times in the whole 2 yrs I lived there! Before you say anything, let me just say that I worked crazy insane hours and by the time I got done work, we'd all be too tired to cook. It was also a way of socializing and unwinding...Food and drinks with co-workers and friends...seven nights a week! LOL! Crazy! Plus, food was fairly cheap in Asia.

When I returned to Canada, it was quite the opposite. I brown-bagged my lunch to work, cooked huge batches of food on weekends and froze them so I didn't have to cook during the week. Man, it sucks being an adult :( Now I've got a husband and students to cook for all the time. I love it when Hubby says he's taking me out to dinner! LOL! Yeeah!

Simple American said...

Infections would depend on the cleanliness of the blade. Just be careful. haha

Uncivil said...

I read the whole post and the comments!

YOU HAVE CLEANING LADIES! OMG!

What I would give to have cleaning ladies! Come to think of it....I would just settle to have a lady period!

kim said...

Chrissy:
I heartily disagree. Food is NOT cheap in Japan, especially not in Tokyo! But then again, I earn in Philippine Pesos (PHP), so when I converted the prices of the food I ate in Tokyo to PHP the last time I was there, I think mini-aneurysms shot through my brain every single time.

Simple American:
Okay. You got me scared. I therefore resolve to get a new knife. (The one I got cut on was sorta rusty.) Oi vey.

Uncivil:
Today's statistics generally say: there are more women today than there are men. In fact, I heard that in London, there are 5 women to every 1 man. You should have no problemo getting a lady, dude.

Come to Asia, bring your pugs, and I swear, cleaning ladies and non-cleaning ladies will be a-swarming.