Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Getting Along Swimmingly

W. Chan Kim and Renée Mauborgne wrote of “blue ocean strategies” that may be applied in the business world. True enough, they gave samples of organisations and leaders who are creating blue oceans of their own: Canada’s Cirque du Soleil, Australia’s Casella Wine [yellow tail] brand, and Korea’s Samsung, among others. Even the company that I’ve just recently signed up with, Direct With Hotels, is trying to create its own blue ocean in the worlds of the tourism and hospitality industries.

Personally, though, I think each person has the ability to create his/her own blue ocean. A blue ocean is (I’m paraphrasing as I go along, so please forgive me for any missteps in explaining what a blue ocean is ) that area where a person or an organisation creates a “unique” environment where other people/organisations would find it hard to compete against it. For instance, Cirque du Soleil did away with animal shows, three-ring stages, and expensive “big named” circus artists who ask a premium for their performances. Instead, it focused on providing pure entertainment, not for children, who are the traditional target market of big league circuses, but for adults. Similarly, I think an individual can create his/her own blue ocean through what Kim and Mauborgne called “value innovation.”

In my case, I think I can start building my own blue ocean if I start “rearranging” my daily attire. No more loose jeans and floral-printed shirts for this baby. No more head bands and scrunchies (not in public at least). Target market: rich youngish-looking bachelors with kind hearts. Hence, low-cut v-necked tops, dark coloured clothes (to hide the unavoidable bodily curves and bumps) flowing or sexy skirts, and subtle hair accessories are, I think, what Dr. Cosmopolitan has just ordered for me. Also, no more hiding the fact that I’m an alluring combination of both “smart lady” and “smarty-pants”. My competitors who are stuck in the “red ocean” market, in my humble opinion, consciously depict themselves as bimbos who can’t lift a finger when it comes to facing an adversary. Why they do so is beyond me. Likewise, no more wishing for Prince Charming. I just recently realised he does not exist. My friend Winky had advised me in one of our heart-to-heart conversations that in the game of love, a woman ought to have “low expectations and great fun.” Amen, sister, AMEN.

Furthermore, I think that in order to expand my own blue ocean, I would have to create new values to my person – values that other people, whose trust and respect I need to have, would also value. Wit, fun, humour, brains, and passion are “things” that I wish to possess – thus far, I don’t think I’ve failed in acquiring them. There are other values that I wish to imbibe, though: generosity (but not to the point of stupidity), wisdom (but not geeky), strength (but not super duper muscular that I’d look like ArnoldA Schwarzenegger), and true beauty (hello, Nip | Tuck?).

My blue ocean is still in the making and I don’t think it’ll be completely achieved until I reach the ripe ol’ age of 35 (!). As my blueness is still a work-in-progress, I’ll carry on doing what I do best, and blog ‘til I bleed out of my ears. Regardless of how long my blue ocean’s going to be developed, I think I still have the chops to get along with the rest of the world quite “swimmingly”.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You are such a cool gal! I really love this post! I am sure your ocean will be the bluest ever and you'll get along just swimmingly ;)

Uncivil said...

I agree with Chrissy.
I've never heard of "Blue Ocean Strategy" before. Sounds cool!
Balance is everything!

"until I reach the ripe ol’ age of 35" LOL!

I remember when I thought 35 was a death sentence. I never thought I would live to be that old!LOL

And here I am 15 years after the expiration date! I still haven't found my blue ocean!

But, I'm still swimming at least!

kim said...

Hi Chrissy!
It's just absolutely fanta-bulous-tic that I get recognised by an equally cool gal. There's nothing like a blog comment like yours to cheer me up as I wallow in the midst of my Monday Mlues.

My dear Uncivil One:
I bow to your 35+15 year-old wisdom, diligence, and unique brand of un-civility! You rock, man, you just plain rock! (...Despite your Bush-allegiance) Come on down to the Philippines anytime, and I'll show you plenty of blue oceans.

But the book's pretty darned interesting, too. Check it out on Amazon. A blue ocean's more than just creating balance - it's creating your own world where you're the only player and your target "customers" just can't wait to get what you're offering.

Uncivil said...

My Bush-allegiance is fading fast. He completely does not understand the illegal immigration problem in this country?

It's a slap in the face to every law abiding citizen!

I might even vote for the "HilloryBeast" in 2008!

kim said...

The US is not the only developed country that's struggling with immigration law issues... I just hope that politicians would one day see that they cannot enforce a complete halt on people's wish for a "better life," which, for most of the less-privileged in developing countries like the Philippines, often mean that it lies in their "American Dream."

As for Hillary, I just wish she'll make up her mind... :D