Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Stuck



Dedicated to Conne and PJ. Thanks for the ride yesterday. Also dedicated to our office building’s administrator/manager. May you rot eternally in your own edifice.



Yesterday afternoon, I decided to hitch a ride with my friends, Conne and PJ, to my condo because rains started to pour down in the middle of the sweltering humidity we’ve been experiencing recently in this part of the world. Conne and I packed up our laptops and boarded the elevator that would take us down from the fourth level of our office building to the ground floor, where PJ was waiting. Ten seconds into the ride, the elevator car’s lights abruptly shut off, throwing us into pitch black darkness. Simultaneously, we heard an ominous thump and felt the car’s floor bump heavily against our feet. We mentally screamed: we’re stuck.

I swear, it was the longest minute of my life. Conne started wheezing (ladylike-ly, of course), and whipped out her mobile phone so we would have some semblance of light inside the 50-year-old elevator carriage. I silently prayed that there would be a button on the control panel that would signify “EMERGENCY. "A prayer was essential because some naughty building tenants had been scraping the labels off of the elevators’ buttons. Thankfully, though, there it was – a bedazzling yellow button with a black bell drawn on it. I pressed on it.
Nothing. I pressed it again, harder. Still nothing. We mentally screamed: we’re stuck.

And I could not find my blasted mobile phone inside my personal black hole (i.e., my bag). So, I shouted for help. Conne breathed even more heavily (but ladylike-ly, of course). I shouted louder, and thought, “Is this it??? My end has come in the form of a 1x3x7-foot elevator cab, with dirty white walls that had badly scrawled curse words drawn on them?” I mentally screamed: I don’t even have a bloody boyfriend who’ll miss having me around!

Suddenly, the lights came back on. We heard a whirring sound (the elevator motor, I presumed), and praised whatever god there may be, for it seemed as if our ordeal with the small, bad, elevator was over. Another sixty seconds later, the doors chug-a-chugged opened. Hallelu - - wait - - where are we? On the seventh freakin’ floor. Never mind, never mind. We found a staircase and started our descent. We mentally screamed: we’re free.

While waiting for us inside his car, PJ fumed. We had made him late for his next appointment. We screamed: we got stuck.

11 comments:

Uncivil said...

Woooooo hoooooo! Funny now, but I know it wasn't funny at the time.

Maybe give up the gym workouts, and use stairs at work more?

kim said...

Uncivil:
I've already been up and down the stairs seven times today. Seven times!!! My thighs are soooooo gonna hurt like garlic mashed with mortar and pestle tomorrow.

velverse said...

I had that experience too last time :) It was really scary, but mine was not that long.

Before I could even open my mouth and scream, the elvator is moving again.

But then again.. I really hate the feeling of being in a pitch black elvator.

Uncivil said...

How many floors up do you have to go?

Simple American said...

That is so frightening. I would not have screamed mentally. But then I hate not having a window. Elevators are tough for me.

Unknown said...

LOL! Kim! You are too funny! I know that must have been scary though. I am extremely clausterphobic, and hate (I mean HATE) being in elevators...especially if there are more than 2 other people in it! One of the schools I taught at in Toronto was on the 14th floor and another was on the 9th floor. I'd try to get to the elevators earlier or later than the mad rush of students. I once got stuck with about 9 other people in the elevator, and I thought I was going to die! LOL!

That's why it's always good to take the stairs ;) Plus, it's good exercise! LOL!

PS. You are such a great writer! Soooo funny!

kim said...

Hi Vel,
Amen to that, sistah! I would have been okay if there were emergency lights inside the darned elevator when the electricity petered out. But nooooooo... Since the building's going to be demolished soon anyway (to make way for a new condominium structure), the building administrator most probably figured, "Nah, why comply with standard building regulations now, when my building's going down anyway?" Some people lah...

Uncivil:
4 floors. That's four flights of stairs (ten steps in each flight) multiplied by seven round trips before noontime, which would equal waaaaaay too much exercise!!!

Hi Simple American,
I'm normally okay with elevators, actually. It's just this particular one that scares the crap out of me.

CoNnE said...

How sweet! Thanks for dedicating that post to me and pj.

I just want to let you know that I could have been stucked in the elevator with anyone else...anyone else - except YOU! LOL!

Morale Lesson: Don't go home yet before the end of office hours.

kim said...

Heya Chrissy:

... then you would most probably be climbing the stairs together with me rather than riding in this elevator, if you were here. It can only fit a maximum of six people. Six people who are under 6'5" in height - the fluorescent lights protrude about 3" out of the ceiling. Merde, as the French would say.

P.S. Thank you, Ms. Teacher! I now wish my English Lit professor back in college could read this blog and your very flattering comments, too, in order for me to exact Revenge on her for saying that my writing style's too "lax." I know, I know. WTF, right? Mierda, as the Spaniards would say.

kim said...

Dearest Conne,

I know! I could have been stuck with a gorgeous guy, a sweet guy, a rich guy, a thoughtful guy, or a strong guy - all of whom would have had the ability to pry the doors open, carry me to safety, and pound the building administrator to a bleeding pulp. But noooooo, GOD JUST HAD TO PUT ME IN THERE WITH YOU. Karma.

Thank you for not panicking during the actual dilemma. And, thank you, too, for not shushing me when panic grabbed hold of me after we've "escaped" and made me curse heaven, earth, hell, and that security guard on the ground floor.

TRUTH: If you had a choice, who would you have chosen to be stuck with in our god-forsaken elevator? The truth, now... :-)

Heidi said...

I probably would've been screaming out loud and not just in my head.

Kudos that you pulled through, girlfriend. You really should scream at the management/administrator and all that.